Published On: Tue, Apr 30th, 2019

Venezuela’s Guaido claims support of soldiers from a Caracas base

Share This
Tags

The Venezuelan government of President Nicolas Maduro has quickly denounced an ‘attempted military coup’

Published 7:37 PM, April 30, 2019

Updated 7:37 PM, April 30, 2019

JUAN GUAIDO. In this file photo, Venezuela's National Assembly head Juan Guaido speaks to the crowd during a mass opposition rally against leader Nicolas Maduro in which he declared himself the country's 'acting president' on January 23, 2019. File photo by Federico Parra/AFP

JUAN GUAIDO. In this file photo, Venezuela’s National Assembly head Juan Guaido speaks to the crowd during a mass opposition rally against leader Nicolas Maduro in which he declared himself the country’s ‘acting president’ on January 23, 2019. File photo by Federico Parra/AFP

CARACAS, Venezuela – Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido announced Tuesday, April 30, that he had support from a group of “brave soldiers” in a video recorded at an air force base in Caracas and broadcast on social media.

“Today brave soldiers, brave patriots, brave men supporting the Constitution have answered our call,” Guaido said in the video recorded with a small group of uniformed men.

At the same time opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez said he had been “freed” from jail by soldiers supporting Guaido.

Lopez posted a picture on Twitter with men in uniform, and said it was taken at the Carlota military base. “Venezuela: the definitive phase to end the usurpation, Operation Liberty, has begun,” read the message.

The Venezuelan government of President Nicolas Maduro quickly denounced an “attempted military coup.”

“At this moment we are facing and deactivating a small group of treacherous military personnel” that gathered “to promote a military coup,” communications minister Jorge Rodriguez tweeted, referring to the case as an “attempt” by right-wing operatives.

Government officials then called for supporters to rally at the presidential palace in Caracas.

In Madrid, the government warned against a “bloodbath.” – Rappler.com

We tell you the stories that matter. We ask, we probe, we explain.

But as we strive to do all this and speak truth to power, we face constant threats to our independence.

Help us make a difference through free and fearless journalism. With your help, you enable us to keep providing you with our brand of compelling and investigative work.

Joining Rappler PLUS allows us to build communities of action with you. PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join exclusive online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.

Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.

Source link

About the Author