Published On: Fri, Jun 21st, 2019

Ex-DFA chief Del Rosario denied entry to Hong Kong ‘without reason’

Share This
Tags

Hong Kong authorities bar former foreign secretary Albert del Rosario from entering Hong Kong even if he carried a diplomatic passport

Published 2:04 PM, June 21, 2019

Updated 2:12 PM, June 21, 2019

BARRED. Former foreign affairs chief Albert del Rosario is denied entry to Hong Kong. File photo by Ted Aljibe/AFP

BARRED. Former foreign affairs chief Albert del Rosario is denied entry to Hong Kong. File photo by Ted Aljibe/AFP

MANILA, Philippines – After holding him for 6 hours, Hong Kong authorities on Friday, June 21, barred former Philippine foreign secretary Albert del Rosario from entering Hong Kong.

Del Rosario, who was on a business trip to Hong Kong, said he was not given any official reason for the decision.

“After nearly 6 hours of being held up, was denied entry without reason,” Del Rosario told Rappler in a text message.

Del Rosario said that he was denied entry even if he carried a valid diplomatic passport.

“Denied entry without explanation. [Diplomatic] passport not honored in violation of Vienna Convention,” he added.

The former Philippine top diplomat was held by immigration officials after arriving at the Hong Kong International Airport at 7:40 am on Friday.

Del Rosario went to Hong Kong to attend the board and shareholders meetings of Hong Kong-listed First Pacific Company Limited.

In an interview on ANC earlier on Friday, Del Rosario said he hoped to attend at least the shareholders meeting of First Pacific.

His lawyer called the incident “pure harassment.”

Hours before he was denied entry to Hong Kong, Del Rosario had called the joint Philippines-China investigation of the sinking of a Filipino boat in the West Philippine Sea an “insult” to the intelligence of the Filipino people.

He was held exactly a month after former ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales was detained at the Hong Kong International Airport. They both had complained against Chinese President Xi Jinping and other Chinese officials for alleged crimes against humanity in the West Philippine Sea. (READ: Ex-PH officials bring China’s Xi to Int’l Criminal Court) – Rappler.com

Source link

About the Author